OT: Windows TAPI command-line driver
Mike
2010-05-26 14:59:32 UTC
Hi,

This is a bit off-topic, but still related to telephony. Is there a
barebones TAPI driver that exists that would allow me to call up a command
line with, as parameter, the number to dial.

For exemple, Outlook integrates with TAPI, so that TAPI driver would allow
me to call my own app with the phone number as argument.

ex when clicking on 555-555-5555: the TAPI driver would call "customapp.exe
555-555-5555"

Regards,

Michael
Danny Nicholas
2010-05-26 15:06:23 UTC
GIYF - try this link

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+TAPI

_____

Michael
Mike
2010-05-26 15:14:19 UTC
Thanks, will take a look. Althought none of those things seem to allow me
to call up my own handler for calls, does it? Or am I misreading?

Mike

Michael
Steve Davies
2010-05-26 15:09:09 UTC
Hi,
This is a bit off-topic, but still related to telephony.  Is there a
barebones TAPI driver that exists that would allow me to call up a command
line with, as parameter, the number to dial.
There is a command-line tool "dialer.exe" that comes with Windows that
allows you to dial through TAPI:

"dialer.exe 555-555-5555"

as you suggest. There would be no reason to use this in Outlook though
as Outlook can call into the TAPI subsystem natively, and does so by
default if you correctly configure your "Phones and Modems" under
Control panel, and have a suitable TAPI module configured to talk to
your PABX.

If you are missing the TAPI component, Google "Xtelsio" or "Activa TSP"

Regards,
Steve
Klaus Darilion
2010-06-01 12:34:47 UTC
Hi Mike!

You are using wrong wording - with TAPI driver usually the TAPI service
provider is meant, e.g. see http://www.ipcom.at/en/telephony/siptapi/tapi/

So, the TSP offers lines to the TAPI subsystem. These lines can be used
by TAPI applications. Typical TAPI applications are dialer.exe (comes
with Windows), phoner.de, Outlook, and many CRM applications.

If you want to call a phone number from any application, then you have 2
choices:
1. The application implements TAPI functionality (e.g done by Outlook)
2. The application just calls the function tapiRequestMakeCall(). This
will trigger a phone call using the default TAPI application (usually
dialer.exe). This is for example done in dial.exe
(http://www.iansharpe.com/art_dial.php), but does nto work reliable on
terminal servers.

There are tools available that can detect phone numbers on web sites and
trigger a certain action when clicking them. You can google such tools
and configure them to start a TAPI dialer.

regards
Klaus
Michael
Mike
2010-06-01 12:40:35 UTC
Klaus,

Thank you, that clarifies it a lot for me. I will look those things up and
figure out something. Meanwhile, if someone wants who has experience with
TAPI services wants to offer me his (paid) services I would be glad to
consider.

Michael
Klaus Darilion
2010-06-01 14:06:04 UTC
Post by Mike
figure out something. Meanwhile, if someone wants who has experience with
TAPI services wants to offer me his (paid) services I would be glad to
consider.
Hi Mike!

It depends on what you are looking for. I am the author of SIPTAPI and
have quite some TAPI experience.

So, if you can describe what you want to achieve I can sort out what I
can do for you, or can you refer to another product that suits your needs.

regards
Klaus