Which IP Phone is really the best?
William Herrera
2008-01-06 18:12:11 UTC
I need to quote a client for a job and I was just wondering.

Out of all the IP Phones out there, which one is the best and why?

Thank you all, all opinions will be accepted.

William Herrera

LAN/WAN Technical Consultant
Tim Connolly
2008-01-06 18:52:02 UTC
That's like asking 'what is the best car in the world and why?'

If you need to haul lots of people, you buy a minivan.
If you live in the US and need to haul lots of people, you buy an SUV.
If you need speed, to buy a motorcycle.
If you need..

You need to decide what features are required, desired and how much
you can spend on each phone. When I bought handsets, my primary
requirement was that it had to be 100% remotely manageable and network
booted/configd due to the auto provisioning software I wrote. I stuck
to the Polycoms, Cisco, Linksys and Sipura brands. Within each brand
will be several phones with distinct feature sets. Just figure out
which one is required.

My suggestion, find 4 phones you think will work and take them to the
customer to choose.
Michael Graves
2008-01-06 20:00:59 UTC
That question cannot be answered as everyone has their own perferences
and considerations.

That said, I really like Polycom's especially the higher end models. I
also like the Aastra 480i CT for a DECT cordless.

Michael

--Original Message Text---
From: William Herrera
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:11:58 -0400

--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com
fwd 54245
Dovid B
2008-01-06 20:06:50 UTC
Here we go again....
Google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Good+IP+phone+site%3Alists.digium.com&btnG=Google+Search

Bill Hackensack
2008-01-06 21:14:46 UTC
Wow! That is a good question. I can't believe no one has ever asked that
before.

Seriously, before letting someone join this mailing list, it should ask them
a simple question:

When you don't know the answer to something, do you:
a) blindly ask hundreds of people with no regard to whether it was recently
discussed
b) search your favorite search engine for an answer first.

We all know what this poster did.

I realize my messages may seem rude and obnoxious, but let's face it, I'm
just saying what the rest of you are thinking. I learned by reading,
reading, and reading. The answer to almost every question is out there, you
just have to look. It irritates me when other people don't even try to do
research first and just want someone to spoon feed them the information. I
wonder how many of those people are being paid for their "knowledge", when
in fact, they know nothing and are counting on the community to do their
work for them.

Anyway, that's enough for my rant for today.

I'll leave with one thing:

www.google.com - it's amazing what you can find
RE Kushner List Account
2008-01-06 21:57:39 UTC
Post by Bill Hackensack
I realize my messages may seem rude and obnoxious, but let's face it,
I'm just saying what the rest of you are thinking. I learned by
reading, reading, and reading.
<sarcasm>
Nobody wants to search, nobody wants to read - HOW DARE YOU!

Only geeks and nerds read, the rest of us are spoon fed! You should know
better.
</sarcasm>

I understand your rant, I can't tell you how many people call me and I
type their question into Google and poof, magic, I have their answer.
And they all think I'm a God or something.

-Ron
http://www.m102.com
Alejandro Kauffmann
2008-01-07 03:05:51 UTC
Post by RE Kushner List Account
Post by Bill Hackensack
I realize my messages may seem rude and obnoxious, but let's face it,
I'm just saying what the rest of you are thinking. I learned by
reading, reading, and reading.
<sarcasm>
Nobody wants to search, nobody wants to read - HOW DARE YOU!
Only geeks and nerds read, the rest of us are spoon fed! You should know
better.
</sarcasm>
I understand your rant, I can't tell you how many people call me and I
type their question into Google and poof, magic, I have their answer.
And they all think I'm a God or something.
-Ron
http://www.m102.com
As long as this is an official rant thread....

Good to know no new phones have hit the market since the last time this
question was asked and answered. It's also good to know
opinions about specific products don't change over time. It's great to
know that no bugs have been found in any of the "best" phone's
firmware that might drop them in the ranking since the last time this
question was asked.

I wonder if this rant thread would exist if the OP had not mentioned he
was preparing a quote for a customer?

/sarcasm off
Anselm Martin Hoffmeister
2008-01-07 08:21:08 UTC
Post by Alejandro Kauffmann
As long as this is an official rant thread....
Good to know no new phones have hit the market since the last time this
question was asked and answered. It's also good to know
opinions about specific products don't change over time. It's great to
know that no bugs have been found in any of the "best" phone's
firmware that might drop them in the ranking since the last time this
question was asked.
And the OP would have had proper use for an answer of the form "I
preffered the ACME 4711 until they burliwooped the blobber function in
their latest firmware"?

As one of the more often mentioned sources on "asking questions",
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html , suggest, the OP
could at least have let everyone known that he found and read the

Asking something like

===
I am searching for an IP phone for a customer's system. It should
- have decent speakerphone
- integrated phone directory
- second Ethernet port for PC

I read about the ACME 511, the Smon 370 and the Ccorsa 480j, although
the ACME seems a bit on the expensive side. All of them seem fit for the
job. Any other suggestions? How did your setups work out, what where the
most common complaints about those phones? And how about manufacturer
support / firmware releases?
===

would have triggered less of a rant.
Post by Alejandro Kauffmann
I wonder if this rant thread would exist if the OP had not mentioned he
was preparing a quote for a customer?
I guess so. There is a visible resistance against supplying service for
free when the OP just hands the answer through to the customer and earns
$$ with it - in my opinion a reasonable point. Nevertheless most writers
here seem to be willing to at least help the people find an answer - not
perfectly prepare one for them, but give them the few and necessary
hints (just as in the above mentioned document). Counting all in,
atmosphere is rather friendly on the mailing list - a few things like
the response of "Check your extensions.conf" for the empty mail a few
days back are the necessary part of sarcasm that I personally do not
count as unfriendly as such.

Enough cents for now, BR
Anselm
Dovid B

Paul Hales
2008-01-06 23:43:45 UTC
I like my Aastra 480i a lot. It has buttons with numbers on them.

What I am guessing you are really asking is 'what's a really good phone
that's really cheap'.

PaulH
David Cook
2008-01-07 03:42:02 UTC
Seriously, if you intend on proposing this to a customer it means you are
selling your professional services. If you are asking questions like this,
how successful do you expect your customer engagement to be?

Even if someone recommends the "best" phone for your particular application,
you will still have zero competency with it and spend inordinate amounts of
learning time and re-work on the customer's time. Your inexperience will
show. Customers are demanding and you will get thrown out on your a**.
People expect IT to fail from time to time (unfortunately), but they expect
100% availability from their phones. Anything less and you will find
yourself with a priority meeting at the client that includes your manager,
CEO and their lawyer.

Nothing travels faster than a bad reputation. Walk away. Research. Build a
lab. Learn.

- dbc.

William Herrera
2008-01-07 05:03:24 UTC
Alright, enough.
At first I was to ignore to you all making statements like this one but I
feel at this point that if I do not stop this it seems it will never stop.
First thing first. I have a Bach. in Network Engineering. I did work for the
Telefónica of Puerto Rico installing Asterisk (and working with Polycom,
Cisco, Astra and Grandstream) for a bit over 2 years. I have been doing this
now on my own business since October 2003 (www.lan-solutions.net), so I am
not as you might think I am.
I asked a "simple" question just to hear your opinion. It was not intended
for so many of you waste your time (and mine) writing all this useless notes
If you would have taken the same (or less) time just to answer the question
(or to ignore it) we al would have been able to keep it "simple", as
intended...
Case closed.

WH

http://www.eset.com
Tim Connolly
2008-01-07 05:19:40 UTC
Cisco 7960's: (SIPified)
1. Cheap
2. 6 lines is plenty
3. simple to config
4. stable
C F
2008-01-07 15:34:53 UTC
strike out stable on the cisco phones. they are not stable.
Post by Tim Connolly
Cisco 7960's: (SIPified)
1. Cheap
2. 6 lines is plenty
3. simple to config
4. stable
stoffell
2008-01-10 06:37:40 UTC
I'm in Europe (yeah, that does matter when choosing a good phone!) ..

Some of my (and my customers') favorites:

- Polycom (pretty much all of them)
- Thomson ST2030
- Siemens Gigaset C450 IP dect (for wireless phones)

cheers,
stoffell

---
http://www.electromarket.be
Kev S
2008-01-07 06:04:25 UTC
But With all that experience you shouldn't have a issue working out what
IP phone to get?

I have only been in the Voip industry 3 months now and i personally know
what phone to supply to what client, Just through testing and playing
around with different phones.

Anyway, To answer your question I like Most Cisco phones,

Cisco would be first preference and then a Linksys SPA942 which are
quite nice.

Regards
Kevin
Post by William Herrera
I need to quote a client for a job and I was just wondering.
Out of all the IP Phones out there, which one is the best and why?
Thank you all, all opinions will be accepted.
William Herrera
LAN/WAN Technical Consultant
http://www.eset.com
http://www.eset.com
dangerous content by Mail Call antivirus software, and is
believed to be clean.
Matt Riddell
2008-01-07 06:23:45 UTC
Post by Kev S
Cisco would be first preference and then a Linksys SPA942 which are
quite nice.
Yeah, Linksys adding the backlight to the SPAs made all the difference
for me. Huge amount of config options for setting it up - you'll
usually only need 2% of it, but it has proven useful for certain edge
scenarios.

The Linksys are obviously a great deal cheaper than the Cisco's but seem
to perform well.

For anything conferencing I'd go for the polycom kit.

- --
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell
Director

http://www.venturevoip.com (Great new VoIP end to end solution)
http://www.venturevoip.com/news.php (Daily Asterisk News - html)
http://www.venturevoip.com/newrssfeed.php (Daily Asterisk News - rss)
randulo
2008-01-10 07:05:35 UTC
Post by William Herrera
Out of all the IP Phones out there, which one is the best and why?
My experiences are with Polycom (ip500) and the Linksys/Cisco SPA94?.
I like both but they are different. The best suggestion on this thread
was to pick 4 and show them to the cust. Last time I was at a VoIP
convention, there was a stand with about 50 models of phones to try
from all the main manufacturers.