[Asterisk-Users] Extending E1's over a Satellite link
Arinze Izukanne
2004-09-13 22:41:25 UTC
hi
I want to compress and trunk 2E1 capacity over a satellite SCPC link using asterisk. I am nw to asterisk and I need suggestions on how to implement this.

Best regards

Arinze

---------------------------------
Kannaiyan Natesan
2004-09-14 02:34:44 UTC
asterisk is a pbx software. I don't think there is a compression and uncompression utility except codec conversions. Even in those cases you can be sure that there will be loss of data as there is no lossless compression.

If you have any satellite transmission and reception card which can be interfaced for voice communication with asterisk kindly share your views here, we can discuss more on that.

Asterisk sends calls over internet very efficiently by reducing the ethernet overhead and the channel overheads and that is only in IAX protocol. May be this you can consider to extend for satellite communication.

If you have more information kindly let us know about it whether anything of the above matches to your interest.

-Kannaiyan

Arinze Izukanne
2004-09-14 03:23:54 UTC
OK. What I am thinking is, It is possible to install a server running Asterisk on each end of the Satellite link, with an E1 card in each Asterisk; and the boxes are configured to pick up incomming calls on the E1 channels and pass them to the other box across the link to the other Asterisk PBX which in turn completes the call via the PSTN E1 on that side.

Basically the aim is to provide a solution that works similar to RAD's VMUX but using Asterisk as the engine.

I expect there would be codec translation along the way.

I have this concept but how to implement it is another issue. I need someone who has experience with Asterisk already to tell me how feasible this is and to what extent it would achieve the aim of reducing bandwidth and maintaining minimal latency.

Best regards

Arinze

Kannaiyan Natesan <***@speak2world.com> wrote:
[...]

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:

---------------------------------
Paul Mahler
2004-09-14 20:35:55 UTC
A full E1 is a LOT of bandwith to try and push over a satellite link.

John Todd has reported success with calls via satellite.

The primary problem you face with a satellite link is, or course, latency.

There are ways of improving QoS over satellite links.

Paul

Paul Mahler
<mailto:***@signate.com> ***@signate.com
<http://www.signate.com/>
Signate, LLC
665 Third Street
Suite 100
San Francisco, CA
94107-1901

Asterisk Services and Training

_____

I want to compress and trunk 2E1 capacity over a satellite SCPC link using
asterisk. I am nw to asterisk and I need suggestions on how to implement
this.

Best regards

Arinze

_____

<http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21626/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com> ALL-NEW
Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

_____

_____

Tim McKee
2004-09-14 21:11:46 UTC
Guys:

I routinely run multiple phones over our satellite system (I'm the VP of
Network Services at SDN Global, a satellite bandwidth provider located in
Charlotte NC, US).

Just last week I went to West Palm Beach, FL US and turned up a 10 phone
emergency call center, complete with ACD queues for an insurance company.
We were able to run all ten phones (Cisco 7960Gs, SIP) on G.729 codecs back
to my * server in Charlotte NC US. No special settings were required on *
or the phones.

The satellite system *must* support *REAL* QoS and must have jitter <
~100ms. Traditional satellite systems have *lots* more jitter than that.
The actual latency _doesn't matter_ as long as the jitter is steady. We are
even doing 'double-hop' phone calls successfully, where the latency is
double the normal latency.

Anyone that wants more detailed info contact me off-list.

Tim McKee
VP Network Services
SDN Global

***@sdnglobal.com
http://www.sdnglobal.com

_____

Julio Arruda
2004-09-14 21:33:09 UTC
Post by Tim McKee
[...]
Out of sheer curisity, the delay itself doesn't make the conversation
'bad' (meaning, walkie-talkie/roger-and-over-like ?)
The codec itself should introduce some dozens of ms, but the satellite,
is not at least 300ms one way or something like that ? adding the
codecs, and the jitter buffers and etc..I wonder how good/bad is it ?
Tim McKee
2004-09-15 01:44:56 UTC
Actually, a single hop satellite conversation isn't much worse than some
cell phone systems. ~350ms latency.

After a few moments of talking the normal person adjusts to it without much
notice. Indeed, many overseas links in the past (and present for that
matter) are done via satellite.

Tim

Tim McKee
2004-09-15 01:57:11 UTC
Expanding on this comment...

The insurance company's customer service staff (definitely not techies) had
no trouble at all adjusting to the latency, indeed, they didn't even appear
to notice it... They had considerably more trouble remembering how to do a
blind transfer to the spanish speakers...

Tim

Arinze Izukanne
2004-09-15 12:25:35 UTC
Being that its a lot of Bandwidth, I need to compress
the channels to use less bandwidth on the transfer.
TDMoE is ruled out. What can I do with Asterisk to
achieve this aim.

Best regards

Arinze Izukanne

Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists
2004-09-15 16:11:37 UTC
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:25:35 +0100 (BST), Arinze Izukanne
Post by Arinze Izukanne
Being that its a lot of Bandwidth, I need to compress
the channels to use less bandwidth on the transfer.
TDMoE is ruled out. What can I do with Asterisk to
achieve this aim.
Use IAX and the ILBC codec.

You could also try IAX trunking to bundle multiple channels into a
single IAX stream, but in my experience this requires a fairly good
low latency connection, so it's probably a no go in your particular
case. Also, if you have jitter and want to use the jitter buffer, IAX
trunking is a no go.

Still, even without IAX trunking, IAX and ILBC with a QoS of
lowbandwidth between the two IAX hosts at each end of the satellite
connection should do fine.

rgds
benjk
Tokyo, Japan.

may get trashed.
Tim McKee
2004-09-15 12:32:31 UTC
I use G.729 as the codec and use compressed RTP (CRTP) to reduce each call's
bandwidth. Over satellite and based on slot assignment overhead, that
equates to approximately 17Kbps bidirectional per call.

I haven't tried using IAX trunking, but I suppose you could transcode and
use one of the even lower bandwidth codecs (depending on voice quality).
I'm not sure where you plan on using this, just be aware that some
languages, particulary those with lots of tonal qualities, don't do well
with some codecs. Physical testing is critical.

tim

Arinze Izukanne
2004-09-15 12:40:27 UTC
Well Julio, in countries where there are no reliable
regional communication backbones with lower return
times, satellites are used and in most cases the
quality is outstanding for a good implementation even
for a double hop.

I could give you a call over a satellite link, G729
and latency of up to 650ms.

Best regards

Arinze Izukanne
Bartosz Jozwiak
2004-09-15 12:56:20 UTC
We have a satellite line and using IAX.
Everything work fine. Latency about 620ms - 680ms

Greetings.

Tim McKee
2004-09-15 13:49:16 UTC
Actually that should br your round-trip-time. One way latency would be half
that.