[Asterisk-Users] Distinctive Ring Cadences
Mike Meyer
2004-08-25 21:41:58 UTC
Hello All,

I am looking for a way to do priority call ringing. That is when a
caller places a call to another party, they can indicate that the call
is a priority and get a different ring to occur (ring cadence) on the
called parties phone. This would be synonymous to an intercom ring on a
key system.

After some investigation, I have come across the ability of the GS
BT101 which will ring differently based on the CID. But, this doesn't
allow the caller to control the ring.

I have uncovered some past discussions
(http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2002-December/006378.html) and (http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2003-June/000916.html ) regarding patches to support SIP phones and have no idea if they are implemented features or not.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike Meyer
Jay Milk
2004-08-25 22:50:33 UTC
This is something you can do when you use Sipuras (chose one of eight
cadences) for your FXS ports. Once you search the list, you will find
that it also works on Cisco IP Phones. In order to change the cadence
based on the user/caller (or caller-id, or...) you will need some clever
AGI script and a optionally database.

Mike Meyer
Chris Shaw
2004-08-25 22:59:26 UTC
Post by Mike Meyer
If anyone knows, please let me know.
Mike,

I am in no way a SIP expert so please take my comments with a grain of salt,
but this would require something attached to the INVITE message sent to the
phone. I know that * (with a little patching) can transmit intercom=yes to a
SNOM phone indicating that the incoming session wants to use the intercom
function... If phones have something similar to this like ringcadence=3 then
it could be passed on... I would imagine that the value you pass to the
phone is specific to the make and model of phone however... Not all phones
would use ringcadence= and not all models would support '3' for example...

There has been some discussion of this in the bug lists and here on list,
but I'm not sure as to the status of this yet in *... I know for the Cisco
phones, there is a variable called ALERT_INFO you can set to change the ring
cadence but that's the only phone I know of so far...

It would be soooo cool if Digium made their own brand of phones, or at least
commissioned someone like Sayson to do it for them... then we could get a
completely *-compatible solution with all of the bells and whistles we
want... If we want to go with our own phones, then we would have to
sacrifice the fancy features but at least it would still work! Maybe they
already have something like this in mind? I would be totally behind it!
Especially if it spoke IAX! :)

-Chris
Jay Milk
2004-08-25 23:42:48 UTC
This is what you're looking for (Sipura SPA-2000):

exten => 201,1,SetVar(ALERT_INFO=bellcore-r1)
exten => 201,2,Dial(SIP/201,40)
exten => 301,1,SetVar(ALERT_INFO=bellcore-r4)
exten => 301,2,Dial(SIP/201,40)

This dials SIP-ext 201 with a different ring-cadence when you dial
"301". Sipura Supports bellcore-r1..r8, but even those names (and the
cadences) are configurable in config.

Chris Shaw
2004-08-25 23:38:10 UTC
Cool! I could see this being very useful, for example you could have an IVR
that says something like "Please set the priority of your call, 1 for
urgent, 2 for normal or 3 for low" then if 1, bellcore-r4, if 2 bellcore-r3,
if 1 bellcore-r1!

-Chris

Nicolas Gudino
2004-08-26 00:34:06 UTC
Post by Chris Shaw
Cool! I could see this being very useful, for example you could have an IVR
that says something like "Please set the priority of your call, 1 for
urgent, 2 for normal or 3 for low" then if 1, bellcore-r4, if 2 bellcore-r3,
if 1 bellcore-r1!
What for? People will allways hit 1 <g>
--
Nicolas Gudino <***@house.com.ar>
House Internet S.R.L.
m***@sineapps.com
2004-08-26 00:39:49 UTC
Post by Chris Shaw
Cool! I could see this being very useful, for example you could have
an IVR that says something like "Please set the priority of your
call, 1 for urgent, 2 for normal or 3 for low" then if 1,
bellcore-r4, if 2 bellcore-r3, if 1 bellcore-r1!
What for? People will always hit 1 <g>
That's why you kinda need to make it an after call thing.

LOL you could even use it in a queue...

I.E. caller id starts with rating of 50 (max 100, min 0)

After call press 1 for annoying, 2 for useful

Then every time you press 1 their rating goes down...which could
cause the queue priority to be higher...so if someone calls in with a
rating of 25 and someone else with 75 you answer the 75 first! :-)

Matt
William Suffill
2004-08-25 23:34:38 UTC
Again, sorry for the top-posting, just following the thread.

Re: you can do cadences with FXS of Sipuras - this can also be done
with the FXS modules for TDM400P cards. I.E. in my house there is an
extension for me, 1 for my work, 1 for my wife and 1 for our tenant.

Then in extensions.conf I have:

[extensions]
;== MATT ==
exten =>
1,1,macro(stdexten|1|${MATT}&${STUDIO}r2&${PETE}r2&${ROOM}r2&ZAP/5r2)

exten =>
4,1,macro(stdexten|4|${MATT}&${STUDIO}r2&ZAP/3r2&${ROOM}r2&ZAP/5r2)

;== PETE ==
exten => 2,1,macro(stdexten|2|ZAP/3r4&ZAP/5r4)

;== CYNTHIA ==
exten => 3,1,macro(stdexten|3|${STUDIO}r3&ZAP/3r3&${ROOM}r3&ZAP/5r3)

(Sorry for the wrapping, I've seperated the lines so there is a gap
between them. Oh and BTW ${MATT} is a sip connection to my computer -
if I have to call somewhere I know I'll be on hold, I use my
counterstrike headset and x-lite so that I don't get a sore neck from
tilting my head to hold the phone for hours on end)

You will note that there is an r2,r3 or r4 after the FXS lines which
means that even though one of the phones is in the lounge, we all
know who it's for because of the ringing. Also, you will note that
Pete's (our boarder) extension does not ring in the room or studio
(which has helped no end when he has received calls at 5am!).

I personally would like to see more cadence types (as far as I'm
aware you can change the cadences of the 4 ring patterns, but can not
add more than 4 - correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers,

Matt Riddell

P.S. The above could easily be controlled by callerid (although it
depends on how many callerid's you want to check for). If you want
to check for a lot of numbers, you're probably best using a database.
You could maybe use the asterisk db. I'm using a plugin in winamp
that lets you press + or - to rate up or down the visual you are
viewing. It would be nice if you could do something similar with
asterisk. I.E. at some time (maybe after the call) you can press a
number between 1 and 4 and then the number will be added to the
database with that code. When a call comes in, check in db, if there
call using the correct cadence. End result?: Call comes in, annoying
person on line, press 4 after, next time you know it's an annoying
person. Your new girlfriend rings...press 1...next time she calls
allow the phones to ring for 60 seconds instead of the usual 5 :-)