[asterisk-users] Asterisk SIP Microsoft Outlook Integration
Michael Melia Jr.
2007-12-05 16:45:28 UTC
Does anyone know how I could integrate my Asterisk setup with Outlook so
that when I click on a phone number is my outlook address book it will
dial the number and ring my SIP phone so that I can just pick it up? I
am interested in this integration for WinXP with Outlook 2003 and
WInVista with Outlook 2007.

Thanks,
Michael
Jared Smith
2007-12-05 17:26:46 UTC
Post by Michael Melia Jr.
Does anyone know how I could integrate my Asterisk setup with Outlook
One of the more popular ones seems to be Outcall, which is now
open-source and available from http://outcall.sourceforge.net. I
haven't tried it personally, so your mileage may vary.
--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager
Digium, Inc.
Tzafrir Cohen
2007-12-05 17:54:32 UTC
Michael Melia Jr.
2007-12-05 23:05:45 UTC
Darrick Hartman
2007-12-06 02:38:09 UTC
Post by Michael Melia Jr.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't like the idea that I have to
give full control with OutCall but it seems to be the case with most of
the solutions out there. I have downloaded and tested OutCall on
Windows Vista and Outlook 2007. It doesn't seem to work 100% with
Outlook 2007. Program looks promising but needs some revision for
latest version of Outlook. It seems a lot of the issues I saw have been
posted to OutCalls forum and they are working on the Outlook 2007 with
Exchange integration. Maybe 1.5 will be what I am looking for.
I am going to test on XP and Outlook 2003 later.
I have not tried Activa TSP yet. Anyone have any feedback on that?
I tried Activa TSP this afternoon with Outlook 2007 (on Windows XP).
While the call I tried worked, the dialer came up with an error that
said it must be restarted. If that's how it operates with Outlook 2007,
I'd say it's not usable. I have not tried with Outlook 2003, but since
I need a working solution for both Outlook 2003 and 2007.

Darrick
--
Darrick Hartman
DJH Solutions, LLC
http://www.djhsolutions.com
Tzafrir Cohen
2007-12-06 11:03:02 UTC
Post by Michael Melia Jr.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't like the idea that I have to
give full control with OutCall but it seems to be the case with most of
the solutions out there.
I suggested http://bugs.digium.com/10972 which is a very good start to
solving those issues. Or at least reduce the threat. But I guess people
prefer to just ignore the problem.

It does not deal with the ability of the caller to use an arbitrary
originating device. This may allow the (not fully untrusted) to use any
SIP/IAX trunk with any extension in the target context.

But it still prevents the option to running an arbitrary dialplan command,
and such. Maybe someone else would have a better idea about setting a
device for the caller. Maybe figure out a way to find a set of devices
to a that user.

And it actually does not break the existing manager interface. So you
should probably be able to use your OutCall. Unless it uses the manager
interface to do things other than originating cals. In that case - you
need to think better about the required permissions in manager.conf .
--
Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755 jabber:***@xorcom.com
http://www.xorcom.com iax:***@local.xorcom.com/tzafrir
j***@gmail.com
2007-12-09 21:42:25 UTC
OutCall is very confusing. The user has multiple options "Call
Contact" the outlook option remains present (and does not work). That
is confusing.

You need a "TAPI Driver" for the easiest user experience. This plugs
in to the Windows/Outlook framework. Not only does it work with the
factory Outlook options any application that uses TAPI for placing
calls will work with no added configuration/modification.

There are various 3rd party TAPI drivers but I think these little
things are items that need to be added to the Asterisk development.
Michael Melia Jr.
2007-12-10 13:45:12 UTC
I haven't found outcall that confusing though I do agree that a TAPI
Driver that makes use of the available outlook call functions will make
for the easiest, most streamlined user experience.

I also agree that these convenience and little feature are very
important especially with Microsoft entering the VOIP platform market
with a product that is sure to integrate with the users desktop and
office extremely well and in every aspect. Asterisk need this
functionality to stay competitive on the end user experience front.

Jerry Jones
2007-12-11 16:15:22 UTC
Post by Michael Melia Jr.
I haven't found outcall that confusing though I do agree that a TAPI
Driver that makes use of the available outlook call functions will make
for the easiest, most streamlined user experience.
I also agree that these convenience and little feature are very
important especially with Microsoft entering the VOIP platform market
with a product that is sure to integrate with the users desktop and
office extremely well and in every aspect. Asterisk need this
functionality to stay competitive on the end user experience front.
I do like the concept of using sip-tapi. I looked at a couple years
ago and if I remember coorectly it communicated via SIP vs the
manager interface. Much better in my opinion. Although I never was
able to get it working correctly, then again I dont do windows.
Guillermo Salas M.
2007-12-05 17:29:04 UTC
Post by Michael Melia Jr.
Does anyone know how I could integrate my Asterisk setup with Outlook so
that when I click on a phone number is my outlook address book it will
dial the number and ring my SIP phone so that I can just pick it up? I
am interested in this integration for WinXP with Outlook 2003 and
WInVista with Outlook 2007.
Try OutCall:

http://outcall.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
--
Guillermo Salas M.
Telconet S.A.

Linux User: 255902

Beat me, whip me, make me use Windows!

Please avoid the Top Posting, see
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Rob Schall
Olivier
2007-12-05 17:59:50 UTC
I would recommend Activa TSP as I prefer its Outook integration than
Outcall's one :
- you're not limited to local contact folders,
- it doesn't need to import contacts
- GUI is simple.

It's based on TAPI and AMI.
A bug in AstManProxy prevent it to be used with it.

When you pick a Contact in Outlook, you select Actions|Call this contact...
and your own hardphone starts to ring.

I got several bugs (from Microsoft, I would say) configuring it on XP : it
disappeared with a fresh new XP install.

Cheers
Dean Collins
2007-12-05 23:52:11 UTC
Snapanumber is the best way to do this.

It's a commercial app so has a license fee but works great.

Cant comment about Outlook2007 but works great with 2003 for me.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
***@cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357
+61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).

________________________________

Michael
Dovid B

2007-12-09 15:11:43 UTC
Snap latest version dates is 14 months old.
Unfortunatly, it poorly supports localization (in fact, none is provided)
and it's unusable for screen popup, due to lack of flexibility in regexp
parsing.
And it's rather slow.

Beside that, it has an interesting features range.
Cheers
shadowym
2007-12-06 00:21:05 UTC
There are probably a half dozen or more software apps that can do this.
Most are free last time I checked. Google is your friend.

Michael
mail-lists
2007-12-11 18:00:55 UTC
Post by Michael Melia Jr.
Does anyone know how I could integrate my Asterisk setup with Outlook so
that when I click on a phone number is my outlook address book it will
dial the number and ring my SIP phone so that I can just pick it up? I
am interested in this integration for WinXP with Outlook 2003 and
WInVista with Outlook 2007.
On a related note...

Is there anything out there that integrates with thunderbird??? I've
looked many times but the only thing I've found are this:

http://www.maxcole.com/tbird-asterisk.html
and this:
http://cockatoo.mozdev.org/

Both of which don't work with current versions of Tbird.

There's also this:
http://labs.abbeyphone.com/tools/Thunderbird_Voip.html

But that only works through THEIR SIP proxy - which is useless.

I wonder if anyone has anything that actually works - Seems like this
would be a killer plugin for Thunderbird.

Thanks